The beautiful Venice, located in the province of Veneto in northern Italy, is known, in addition to being a prominent and very important tourist city, also as a romantic destination. It is a city with a rich historical past, a city that was originally built on a hundred small islands in the Adriatic Sea. Instead of roads, Venice relies on a series of waterways and canals, which make it different from the more special European cities. A visit to Venice is an experience for all the senses, especially if you come during the mask festival (but, not only). Its past is evident in almost every corner of it and it is hard not to be impressed by the houses, the canals, the culverts that cross them, and in general – by its atmosphere, which is different from anywhere else in Italy, or in the world.
There is a very wide variety of attractions in Venice and this is also the reason why most travelers dedicate more than one or two days to it. You can stay overnight in Venice itself or in places close to it and enjoy a wonderful vacation. It is a city that is suitable for every style and type of vacation, for families with children, for couples looking for romance, for curious travelers, and also for retirees who are interested in a more relaxed and peaceful trip this time.
Befitting a city founded in the fifth century AD, Venice is a city of history. A city with a very glorious past, as mentioned, a city whose story is full of changes and also quite a few upheavals. In Venice, there is a historical center, which is considered one of the tourist attractions and for good reason. It is possible to find a selection of historical sites, very important points of interest and especially ancient buildings.
It is, perhaps, one of Venice’s best-known attractions and also its hallmark. St. Mark’s Square, home to the impressive St. Mark’s Cathedral, is the only square in Venice that was founded in the 9th century AD. It covers an area of 14,500 square meters and is designed in an architectural style that was typical of the Renaissance period. It is a square that is the heart of the city, where events of various kinds took place and still take place, including important religious events. The Cathedral of San Marco, which is located there and is associated with it, was built in the 9 It is also an example of magnificent Byzantine architecture. It overlooks the square and is connected to the Doge’s Palace – the Palace of the Duke of Venice (Palazzo Ducale di Venezia).
This magnificent palace, designed in the Venetian Gothic style, is one of the main landmarks of the city and also a very prominent tourist destination in Venice. It was the seat of the supreme authority of the former Venetian Republic, it was used at one time as a court site and even as a prison and it was founded in 1340 when during the following centuries it underwent quite a few changes, extensions, and renovations. The palace became a museum in 1923 and has since been considered a popular attraction in the city.
It is one of the most magnificent and impressive churches in Venice, one of the hallmarks of the city. It is in front of St. Mark’s Square, between the Giudaca Canal and the Grand Canal. Following a great plague that broke out in Venice in the summer of 1629, it was decided to build the church in an attempt to stop it. Its location was chosen from eight different locations and required the demolition of existing buildings. The construction of the church was completed in 1681 and is extensive. It stands on a hundred thousand wooden pegs sunk into the ground and its facade is made of stone. The interior of the church is designed in Byzantine style and its dome is visible in the beautiful skyline of Venice.
They are considered the most prominent icon in Venice and it is hard not to see them almost everywhere in the city. The canals of Venice are an attraction in themselves, with the Grand Canal being one of the main “lanes” for traffic in the city. One end of this canal leads to the lagoon next to the Santa Lucia train station, while the other end leads to San Marco. Between these two ends, the canal forms an inverted S shape and passes between the central districts of Venice. The total length of the canal is 3.8 km, while its width is between 30 and 90 meters (depending on the location itself). Its average depth is 5 meters. On the banks of the canal, you can see ancient buildings, from the 13th to the 18th centuries, which tell The ancient history of the city, as well as the story of the culture and especially the art in it. Until the 19th century, the canal was crossed by one bridge (since most of the traffic in the city passes along the canal and not across it) – the Rialto Bridge, and later three bridges were added to it: Ponte degli Scalzi, Ponte dell’Accademia and the controversial bridge, Ponte della Costituzione, built in 2008 and connecting the train station to Piazza Roma, one of the few places in Rome where the various modes of transport are allowed to enter.
Of the four bridges that cross the Grand Canal of Venice, the Rialto Bridge is the oldest. It was built in 1173 and is now considered one of the most prominent centers of attraction in the city. Right next to the bridge you can see almost every day gondolas, which leave from that point, with tourists on board, to cruise along the canal. This is also an attraction in itself, loved by romantic couples in the city and tourists in general, and an opportunity to experience Venice from a slightly different direction and enjoy a real time out. In 1503, the idea of rebuilding it was considered, and about two years later, the authorities asked for permission to renew it. The construction of the current bridge that we see today began in 1588 and was completed in 1591 and is similar to the original wooden bridge. The engineering of the bridge was considered very daring in those years and quite a lot of misfortunes were predicted for it. In the end, the matter was crowned as a great rescue and the bridge became one of the most prominent and important architectural icons of Venice.
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church located on an island of the same name. The church, designed by Andrea Palladio, was built between 1566-1610 and it brings to the front of the stage the classical Renaissance style, with its special developments and its brilliant marble, which shines above the blue waters of the lagoon, in front of Piazza San Marco. This church was built after a church and a monastery in the same place was completely destroyed by an earthquake. The entire building was completed and approved in 1566 and its foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Pope that year. Her interior decoration was completed after that and so were some other elements in her.
The Jewish ghetto is one of the more specialized areas of the city, which was used, since the 16th century, as a place of residence for the Jews of Venice. It is considered one of the oldest residential quarters of the Jews in the world and a visit to it takes a sort of time travel. In the center of the ghetto, there is a wide square with a well with a relief of a lion, symbolizing the tribe of Judah. Two of the five synagogues in the ghetto still operate today and when visiting it you can also find a museum, several small educational institutions, a Jewish retirement home, and a community center. Although a significant part of the Jews of Venice does not live in the ghetto itself, it is still used by them as a very important and main public center, where some of the Jewish institutions are located, including the schools and kindergartens (including a Chabad garden). In the Jewish ghetto, there are various wall decorations that tell the story of Jews in Venice during the Holocaust, which knew great suffering.
Although there are not a large number of museums and galleries in Venice, compared to other touristic cities in Italy, the ones that are there certainly warrant a stop and a short visit. This way you can learn a lot about this special city, about its ancient history and about the local artists who lived there and enriched the local culture thanks to their works.
This special gallery is, in fact, an art museum that predates the 19th century in Venice and is located on the south bank of the Grand Canal. The original place was founded in September 1750 and was one of the first institutions where art restoration was taught. In 1807 the place was rebuilt and its name was changed to the “Royal Academy of Fine Arts”. The Academy’s collections were first presented to the public on August 10, 1817, and attracted much attention. In 1879, the gallery became independent and, like other state museums in Italy, it is under the Ministry of Culture and Heritage. Among the works on display, there is a collection of drawings by Leonardo da Vinci, which was also exhibited in the Louvre in Paris.
This spectacular collection is a museum of modern art and one of the most talked about attractions in Venice. It is housed in the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, an ancient palace from the 18th century that was the home of the American heiress Penny Guggenheim for three decades. She began exhibiting her impressive private collection, which included magnificent works of modern art, in 1951, and after her death, the collection was transferred to a special foundation, which managed it and first opened the place where it was exhibited, in 1980. In the collection, you can find the works of prominent Italian artists and American artists From different genres, such as cubism, surrealism, and also expressionism.
On the banks of the Grand Canal of Venice is a special art museum, which displays the impressive collections of Baron Giorgio Franchetti, who was born into a prominent and important family in Turin. Although he received his training at a military school, Franchetti preferred to choose a course in music and art studies. In 1891, about a year after his marriage to Baroness Maria Hornstein Hohenstoflen, he moved to Venice where he purchased a dilapidated building from the 15th century, which over time was renovated and restored to restore it to its original beautiful appearance. Franchetti used to travel quite a bit and on each trip, he acquired objects and works of art for the palace. This is how his collection slowly grew until it officially became a museum in January 1927.
The Correr Museum, located in St. Mark’s Square in Venice, one of the most central and touristic areas of the city, presents rich and very impressive collections, representing the art and ancient history of Venice. The beginning of the museum is a large collection bequeathed to the city of Venice in 1830 by Teodoro Correr, after whom it is named. Correr was a passionate collector, who devoted most of his life to the collection of works of art and various documents and objects, reflecting the history of Venice. That period was considered very special since the Republic of Venice fell in 17979 and for decades after that the city was under the rule of foreign rulers. Out of real need, many Venetian families began to sell their precious collections, bought by foreigners. Upon his death, the collection was donated to the city itself, as well as the palace, which was located on the banks of the Grand Canal, where the family lived until then.
The island of Murano is famous, as we know, for its glass industry, and as befits such an island, you can find a spectacular glass museum there, which tells the story of this industry over the years and even gives space to the history of glass in general. The museum itself was founded in 1861 and the building in which it is located was previously used as Patrice’s palace, designed in the Gothic style. Later the place became the residence of Bishop Marco Justinian and later it was bought and donated. The museum’s collection presents, among other things, works of glass art from the 20th century.
This is an art museum located in one of the old customs buildings of Venice, near the point that was used for docking and customs already at the beginning of the 15th century. The temporary buildings built for the storage of goods and customs workers were replaced by the Ponte della Donga, whose construction began in 1677. The building itself and its design style reflect the construction, which was typical of Venice during different periods. The last renovation of the building, which has undergone quite a few changes over the years, was carried out in 1838, and its restoration was done in 2008-2009 with the funding of a French billionaire and art collector.
The Lace Museum is located inside an ancient palace on the island of Borneo, where the famous lace school operated between 1872 and 1970. It presents rare and precious items, part of a complete overview of the history and art of lace. The museum reopened to the public in 2011 after undergoing extensive restoration work. Today it is considered a prominent tourist attraction, which is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the special lace industry.
Those who come to Venice mostly concentrate only on it, but besides, and not far from it, there are several interesting stopping points, which also justify a short visit of a few hours. Some of them can be reached by boat and some by car. Either way, it is recommended to combine them during your vacation, if only to enjoy a wonderful atmosphere.
It is considered a very popular stopping point and almost everyone who visits Venice makes their way to it as well. It is located in the Venetian lagoon of northern Italy and is known for its famous lace works, which are sold there, and its brightly painted houses. Burano is 7 km from Venice and can be reached by a Venetian water bus, a trip that takes about 45 minutes and departs from St. Mark’s Square. Similar to Venice, Burano is also divided into five historical parts and is known, among other things, for a very high level of density ( covered almost entirely by residential buildings with very little green space). The lace, for which the island became famous, began to be produced by women who arrived there in the 16th century. The same lace was exported all over Europe, but over time the demand for it decreased until 1872 when lace production resumed the traditional one to the front of the stage and became the center of attraction on the island. The lace sold there is indeed expensive, since it is produced, as mentioned, in a traditional way and by hand, but it is a one-of-a-kind souvenir and very beautiful.
The group of Murano islands, which are connected to each other by bridges, are also considered a very popular attraction outside of Venice itself and are located 1.5 km north of the city. They are known for the production of glass on the island, beautiful works of local artists who specialize in it, who sell their products to tourists who come to visit and in fact the whole world. At the beginning of its journey, the island served as a port for fishermen and a central place for salt production, later it was settled by monks who were looking for a more isolated place that would suit their lifestyle. Their monastery on the island became a spiritual center of learning and printing, until 1814 when the monks were expelled from the island. In 1291, all the glass manufacturers in Venice were required to move to Murano and slowly the island became famous for glass works. Although production began to decline during the 18th century, Murano’s glass is still known as the main industry.